Creating and editing Custom fields
If you want to ask for information in your Booking form that you don’t see represented in the System fields, you can create your own Custom field.Creating a Custom field
1) When you create a new Custom field in the Fields library, you must first select the field type and click "Save". The following field types are currently available:
Single-line text is a single input text box. The maximum character limit is 250.
Multi-line text is an input text box used to ask Customers for additional information. The maximum character limit is 5000.
Dropdown enables Customers to make a choice among a list of mutually exclusive options. Customers can choose one and only one option. A minimum of two options is required to use Dropdown lists.
Checkbox enables your Customers to choose any number of options listed in the list. A minimum of one option is required to use the checkbox type.
Attachment enables you to request one attachment from your Customers. The file size limit is 5 MB and executable files are not allowed. You can also set the attachment to be secure with permission-based access. Learn more about Secure attachment
Important: It is not recommended to ask Customers to upload attachments that contain sensitive information. Attachments are not encrypted and are not password protected.
2) Each Custom field has a Field title that is displayed to your Customers when they make a booking online.
Note that the length of the field title is limited to 90 characters.
3) You can add subtext to your Custom field title when you want to provide more detailed information about the Custom field to your Customers.
4) You can link subtext, the Custom field title, and checkbox options to a URL of your choice and provide external information to your Customers when they make a booking online.
5) Each Custom field has a Field name associated with it. Field names are unique identifiers that ScheduleOnce uses to track Custom fields. This allows you to use Custom fields information in other areas of the application such as in reports and Custom templates. The length of the name input text is limited to 20 characters. Learn more about viewing information collected from your Booking formEditing Custom fields
When you edit a Custom field, you are editing the field settings on an account-level. Any change made to a Custom field, will change the settings for the field in every Booking form in which the field is included. The opposite is true for System fields which are edited on a form-level.
You may edit Custom fields by selecting the “edit” icon next to the field in the Fields library. In edit mode, you have the option to:
Edit the Field title - The title of the field as it will appear to Customers on the Booking form. This can be different from the field name, which cannot be changed once the field is created.
Add subtext – This is where you can write a description of the field or explain why you are asking for the information. For example, if you are asking for a phone number, you can use this space to explain how you are going to use the phone number. There is an option to hyperlink text which you can use, for example, to link to your Terms of service.
Change field data you entered – For example, lets say you created a dropdown menu for your Customer to select options from. You can edit, remove or add more options as needed.System custom fields
System custom fields are fields which are included in the Fields library but are not automatically included in the Booking form. These System custom fields include data you may wish to ask for without having to input it yourself. For example, one of the System custom fields provided is “Your state”. The field includes a dropdown menu of all 50 states in the United States.
The System custom fields provided include:
Your state – A dropdown menu of all 50 states in the United States and Washington, DC.
Your country – A dropdown menu of every country in the world
Your location – A dropdown menu of every US state, Canadian province and every country in the world
Terms of service – A checkbox to agree to terms of service
Attachment – Attachment field
Learn more about Booking forms:
- Introduction to the Booking forms editor
- Creating a Booking form
- The Fields library
- Secure Attachments
- Editing System fields
- Conditional fields
- Viewing collected information from your Booking form
Rate this article