Using ScheduleOnce with source tracking (UTM tags)
What is source tracking?Source tracking lets you understand your audience better by tracking the various sources of your bookings. By adding tags to the specific URLs that you share in various contexts, you can analyze which marketing campaign or outreach effort results in more bookings. ScheduleOnce enables you to use source tracking in combination with Google Analytics or another third-party analytics tool by redirecting to your own landing page or custom confirmation page. ScheduleOnce does not store source tracking data internally. ScheduleOnce allows source tracking for any of our Sharing and Publishing options.
For example, you might add a source tracking tag to the URL that you share with Customers via email marketing campaigns, but add a different source tracking tag to the URL that you publish on banner ads. By adding different tags to URLs that you use in different contexts, you can track how many bookings are generated from each source, allowing you to focus your marketing resources on the most effective strategies for your business.
UTM tagsUTMs ("Urchin Tracking Modules") were originally created by Urchin Software (acquired by Google in 2005) as a tagging system for URLs. They have become one of the most widely used source tracking conventions for marketing analytics, and are a powerful tool to incorporate in any data-driven marketing strategy.
The five standard UTM tags are:
utm_source = used for identifying the traffic source
utm_medium = used for identifying the delivery method
utm_campaign = used for keeping track of different campaigns
utm_term = used for identifying keywords
utm_content = used for split testing or separating two ads that go to the same URL
Note: The five standard UTM tag names are reserved terms in ScheduleOnce, and cannot be used as Custom field names.
UTM tags are added to the end of the URL, with the following syntax:
* Add "?" to the end of the URL
* Add "=" followed by the value of each tag as defined according to your marketing analytics strategy
* Add "&" to separate each parameter
Enable source tracking with ScheduleOnceRequirements: Since ScheduleOnce does not store source tracking information internally, and only facilitates the passing of your UTM tags to a third-party page, you must enable Automatic redirect in order to use this feature. You must set up your own landing page or custom confirmation page that is configured for use with web analytics.
To turn on source tracking for your Booking page, follow these steps in the Automatic redirect settings of the Event type or Booking page:
1. Turn Automatic redirect ON, and enter the URL you have configured for web analytics (Note: Source tracking is only passed to the redirect URL when a booking is scheduled - not canceled or rescheduled.)
2. Check the box to "Pass source tracking tags to redirect page"
3. If you are using Website integration, select "Customer data is passed via URL parameters" in the Share & publish section of your account
4. Add UTM tags to your ScheduleOnce Booking page links manually, or use a URL-building tool.
You can now analyze the source tracking data for your bookings.
Rate this article